If you cannot find what you’re looking for, feel free to contact us at 260-449-7535.
Gun Permit Information
In order to apply you must be at least 18 years old.
1. If you live within the city limits of Fort Wayne, New Haven or Woodburn, you can not apply for a firearm license from the Allen County Sheriff’s Department. You must go to the police department in the town in which you are a resident.
2. If you are a resident of another state and have a regular place of business or employment of 40 hours a week or more in Allen County Indiana, you are eligible to apply for a five (5) year personal protection license with the Allen County Sheriff’s Department. The applicant is required to send proof of employment or business ownership to the State as part of the application process.
3. As of March 25, 2013, all hand gun applications must be filled out online via the Internet at the following web address: https://www.in.gov/isp/2829.htm.
4. After filling out the application online (see item 5 above), contact IdentoGO either by phone or via their web site. You need to request an appointment to get electronically fingerprinted. You can call IdentoGO at 1-877-472-6917 or go to their web site at https://www.IdentoGO.com. You can pay the fingerprinting fee of $10.50 by phone, online, or at your fingerprinting appointment (personal check, money order or cashier’s check only, payable to IDEMIA).
AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN FINGERPRINTED by IdentoGO, proceed to the B of I office, located in the Charles “Bud” Meeks Justice Center, 101 E. Superior St (corner of Superior and Calhoun St.) Room B-25 (in the basement) to finish the application process. You will need your driver’s license and receipt from your fingerprinting appointment
5. The requested license will be mailed by the Indiana State Police to the mailing address entered on the application.
NO CELL PHONES, PAGERS, CAMERAS, PDA’S, OR AUDIO EQUIPMENT OF ANY KIND IS PERMITTED IN THE ALLEN COUNTY COURT HOUSE OR THE CHARLES “BUD” MEEKS JUSTICE CENTER. COURT OFFICERS WILL NOT HOLD ITEMS WHILE YOU ARE IN THE COURT HOUSE OR THE CHARLES “BUD” MEEKS JUSTICE CENTER.
If you require any additional information, contact the Bureau of Identification at (260) 449-7630.
HANDGUN(S) LICENSING FEE SCHEDULE
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2020
To pay the appropriate local fee, a money order or cashier’s check payable to the Allen County Sheriff’s Department is required. The State fee is paid online when filling out the application.
The Allen County Sheriff’s Department Bureau of Identification provides fingerprinting service to the public. Juveniles will only be printed for employment purposes. A parent or guardian must be present during the process.
Request for Public Records
The Allen County Sheriff’s Department will release information as outlined in the Access to Public Records Act (APRA).
APRA indicates but does not mandate, that an agency may require a person to submit a request for a public record in writing, or on a form supplied by the agency. I.C. 5-14-3-3(a)
The Allen County Sheriff’s Department does have the discretion to withhold investigatory records per I.C. 5-14-3(b) if deemed necessary to the case, or if the agency feels releasing such information may jeopardize the case. There are also other items that are not disclosable per I.C. 5-14-3-4(a)
Policy: The Allen County Sheriff’s Department will provide information permitted under the appropriate sections of Indiana’s access to public records act (IC 5-14-3).
To complete your request thoroughly and quickly, we ask that you provide as many details as possible about the information you’re requesting.
Contact the Bureau of Identification if you need a release form:
In order for us to properly comply with your records request, please do the following:
- You will need to submit two forms of identification.
- One must be a State issued photo ID and the other can be any ID with your name on it. For example, a library card, social security card, utility bill, etc.
- A waiver release form should be completed and signed by the subject of the request.
- All forms not completed in the B of I office must be notarized.
- If mailing the form, a self-addressed, stamped envelope must be provided for the return of the records. If the request is mailed and is more than 30 days old, it is void and will not be processed.
- The cost to process a records check is $7.00 per request. Fees may be paid using cash, money order or certified check. Do not mail cash. Use a money order or certified check only.
- Record checks will not be performed on individuals under the age of 18.