Civil / Court

Civil Division

The Allen County Sheriff’s Department Civil Division is most visible at the Allen County Courthouse. The Civil Division is responsible for security in 25 court/hearing rooms, 3 buildings and for 25 judges/magistrates. The Civil Division’s officers transport prisoners, serve subpoenas and protective orders, collect delinquent taxes and conduct Sheriff sales on foreclosed properties.

The Civil Division is staffed by both police officers and civilian court security personnel. Court security personnel are responsible for screening visitors to the Allen County Courthouse, the Courthouse Annex and the Charles “Bud” Meeks Justice Center.

For questions regarding the Civil Division contact: Lt. Michele Hasley:


Service Information for Civil Papers – Please read as this information has changed.

BEGINNING July 1, 2017:

There is a $28.00 fee per case for papers filed within the State of Indiana.  There is an ADDITIONAL $28.00 fee per case for any post-judgment service.  There are no refunds.  The clerk’s office accepts Sheriff fee payments for the service by credit card, cash, money order, cashier check, business check or personal check. Payments should be made payable to the Allen County Clerk.  Payment will be accepted through the e-filing service provider or at the clerk’s public counters.

If you are sending papers for service filed in another county in Indiana, there will be a $28.00 fee per case.  For any post-judgment service there will be an additional $28.00 fee per case. Please submit your fee to the clerk’s office of the county in which your papers were issued.

If you are sending papers for service filed outside the State of Indiana, there is a $60.00 fee for each person and/or address to be served. If submitting a protective order the fee will be waived.

For cases generated out-of-state the filer will need to submit the service fee directly to the sheriff’s office with their service documents.

Return of service will be forwarded to the Clerk’s office of the court that has jurisdiction in the case.

For service you must provide:

  1. THREE COPIES of all papers to be served. We do not make copies.
  2. Name and address of the person to be served.
  3. A return of service form. If a return form is not included, we will use our standard form.
  4. Proof of payment.

You may bring your papers for service to the Allen County Sheriff’s Department Civil Division, or send them by mail to the Allen County Courthouse:

Allen County Sheriff’s Department
Attn:  Civil Process, Room 100
715 S. Calhoun St.
Fort Wayne, IN  46802


Tax Warrant Information

The Allen County Sheriff’s Department has the responsibility of collecting back taxes owed to the State of Indiana through Tax Warrants issued by the Indiana Department of Revenue.  If you have a dispute in reference to the Tax Warrant being issued, the amount owed, or any leans you will need to contact the Indiana Department of Revenue at 260-436-5663 (Fort Wayne Office) or 317-232-2165 (Indianapolis Office).

Once you receive a Tax Warrant it must be paid in full or be set up on a payment plan within 30 days.  To be set up on a payment plan you must make a down payment of 20% for the total amount due.  Once our office receives the down payment your account will be placed in a payment plan for 12 months requiring a monthly payment each month until account is paid in full.  Our office will not send out reminders, it is your responsibility to remember to make your payment each month.

Method of payments:  Money Order, Cashier’s Check (payable to The Sheriff of Allen County), cash and Credit Cards.


Payments can be made in one of the following ways.

  1. Mailing payment or in person at our office, located at 715 S Calhoun St. RM 100, Fort Wayne, IN. 46802
  2. Online credit card payments at (you will need your Tax Warrant # and the CC Code located on the warrant)

Our contact information is as follows:

Sheriff of Allen County
Civil Division
715 S. Calhoun Street Room 100
Fort Wayne, IN 46802

(260) 449-7632 for general information
(260) 449-3823 for civil paper service information

Sheriff Sales

Click here for Sheriff Sale information.