For the past 28 years, I have been privileged to serve the Allen County Sheriff’s Department. As a road patrol officer and a major crimes detective, I dedicated each day to making our county a safer place to live and work. In 2007, I was promoted to Chief Deputy, and I used that opportunity to collaborate with other law enforcement agencies to help ensure the safety of citizens across our region.
In December of 2014, I took office as the newly elected Sheriff. I plan to continue to work with local, state and federal officials toward the completion of the Allen County Sheriff’s Department Training Facility, as well as build a new home for our K-9 training program at our Regional Training Facility at Adams Center and Paulding Roads.
I am working with the Courts system to implement the development of the Sheriff’s Inmate Work Crew (inmates working outside the jail doing community projects), and plan to further a positive relationship with local, state, and federal officials to reduce the costs of inmate healthcare, improve public safety and control jail costs.
Allen County Sheriff’s Department September 1987 – Present
Oversee all department division commanders, evaluate all divisional budgets, review and approve employee evaluations for over 350 employees, and plan and manage the department’s 20+ million dollar budget.
- Elected Sheriff in November 2014 and took office December 2014
- Named Chief Deputy in 2007
- Promoted to Major Crimes Detective specializing in arson investigations
- Served 14 years as a Road Patrol Officer, including 13 years as a K9 handler
- Member of the Allen County SWAT team for 11 years
- Served for 2.5 years as civilian Confinement Officer, starting in 1985
- Attended the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, Maryland specializing in arson investigation
- Graduate of the 241st session of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia in 2010 – only 1% of all Law Enforcement personnel are invited to attend
- Developed a plan which cut the jail inmate prescription drug costs by nearly 50%
- Implemented a new, more efficient inmate healthcare clinic at no cost to local tax payers
Boards and Certifications:
- Current board member of the Combined Communications Partnership (Emergency Dispatch Center)
- Current board member for Greater Fort Wayne Crime Stoppers
- Current board member for SCAN of Fort Wayne (Stop Child Abuse & Neglect)
- Current Allen County Right to Life board member since 2011
- Certified advanced Emergency Vehicle Operations instructor (EVO)
- Certified Law Enforcement instructor through the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
- Former board member of the Indiana Law Enforcement Torch Run Committee for Special Olympics