Sheriff Sales are a way for a lending institution to get possession of a property on mortgage foreclosure so the property can be resold. The lending institution (the plaintiff) can bid their judgment in addition to interest, taxes and attorney fees without putting up the cash. The plaintiff’s bid will also include the cost of the sale. Addresses of properties that are up for sale are available in the Mortgage Foreclosure Book in the Civil office, Room 100 Courthouse, posted on the Public Notice Board in the Allen County Courthouse, and published in the local newspaper.
- All sales take place in the Allen County Courthouse outside of room 100, unless otherwise noted.
- Sales are generally held Tuesday through Thursday at 2:00 pm, except holidays. Other than bidding, all conversations will cease during the sale. Cell phones and electronic devices are not permitted in the Allen County Courthouse.
- Bidding is an open and progressive format; however, the opening bid will be set by the Plaintiff. All bidders must have secure funds in the form of a Cashier’s Check made payable to the Allen County Sheriff’s Department. All bidders will be required to show proof of funds prior to being able to bid on any property. The successful bidder must remit payment for the amount of their highest bid immediately upon the close of bidding. There will be no exceptions to this rule. All bids will include the cost of the sale. No propery will be sold with outstanding fees or taxes. All taxes must be paid prior to the sale, and be certified by the Treasurer of Allen County.
- The next business day after the sale, the successful bidder must bring the following to room 100 of the Courthouse:
Completed Sales Disclosure Form (State Form 46021).
Check payable to the Allen County Recorder in the amount of $25.00.
Check payable to the Allen County Auditor in the amount of $10.00.
5. Any refund that is due to the buyer will be available after 1:00pm, the next business day after the sale, in room 100 of the Courthouse.
Any questions concerning Sheriff Sales should be directed to Jaime Hardy.