Instructions on the Handgun Licensing Process
- In order to apply you must be at least 18 years old.
- If you live within the city limits of Fort Wayne, New Haven or Woodburn, you cannot apply for a firearm license from the Allen County Sheriff’s Department. You must go to the police department in the town in which you are a resident.
- If you are a resident of another state and have a regular place of business or employment of 40 hours a week or more in Allen County Indiana, you are eligible to apply for a 5 year personal protection license with the Allen County Sheriff’s Department. The applicant is required to send proof of employment or business ownership to the State as part of the application process.
- Existing licenses can only be renewed when it’s within 1 year prior to the date of expiration.
- As of March 25, 2013, all hand gun applications must be filled out online via the Internet at the following web address: https://firearms.ariesportal.com/. The state fee is paid while filling out the application.
- After filling out the application online (see item 5 above), contact IDEMIA (formerly MorphoTrust USA) either by calling them on the phone or via their web site. You need to request an appointment to get electronically fingerprinted. You can call IDEMIA at 1-877-472-6917 or go to their web site at https://in.ibtfingerprint.com/?LANG=en. You can pay the fingerprinting fee on the phone, the Internet, or when you show up for your fingerprinting appointment (Money Order or Cashier’s Check only).
- AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN FINGERPRINTED by IDEMIA and have paid the State Fee, proceed to the B of I office, located in the Charles “Bud” Meeks Justice Center, 101 E. Superior St., (corner of Superior and Calhoun St.) Room B-25. You will need your driver’s license and a money order or cashier’s check for the local fee. It must be made payable to the Allen County Sheriff’s Department.
- The requested license will be mailed by the Indiana State Police to the mailing address entered on the application.
NO CELL PHONES, PAGERS, CAMERAS, PDA’S OR AUDIO EQUIPMENT OF ANY KIND IS PERMITTED IN THE ALLEN COUNTY COURT HOUSE OR THE CHARLES “BUD” MEEKS JUSTICE CENTER. COURT OFFICER’S WILL NOT HOLD ITEMS WHILE YOU ARE IN THE COURT HOUSE OR THE CHARLES “BUD” MEEKS JUSTICE CENTER.
If you require any additional information, contact the Bureau of Identification at (260) 449-7630.
HANDGUN(S) LICENSING FEE SCHEDULE
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006
To pay the appropriate Local Fee, a Money Order or Cashier’s Check payable to the Allen County Sheriff Department is required.
The state fee is paid online when filling out the application.
|LICENSE TYPE||LOCAL FEE||STATE FEE|
|(1) Four Year Hunting and Target||$10/$5 Refundable *||$5|
|(2) Five Year Personal Protection||$10/$5 Refundable *||$30|
|(3) Lifetime Hunting and Target
(No current Ind. Hunting and Target license)
|$50/$30 Refundable *||$25|
|(4) Lifetime Hunting and Target
(Current Ind. Hunting and Target license)
|$40/$30 Refundable *||$20|
|(5) Lifetime Personal Protection
(No current Ind. Personal Protection license)
|$50/$30 Refundable *||$75|
|(6) Lifetime Personal Protection
(Current Ind. Personal Protection license)
|$40/$30 Refundable *||$60|
|(7) Retired Law Enforcement Officer.
Must be a sworn officer with
20 years of service or more.
|Fee Exempt||Fee Exempt|
|(8) Firearms Dealer||All local fees apply||Fee Exempt –
With a valid Indiana Dealers License.
* = The second dollar amount is that portion of the Local Fee that is refundable if a license is not issued.
The entire state fee is refundable if no license is issued.
ISP Firearms FAQS: http://iot.custhelp.com/app/answers/list