allencountysheriff.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Future Hiring Questions
Post Future Hiring Questions 
I will try to get all of my questions out.

I have been told by a few people that having a strong background in law enforcement actually hurts my chances at getting hired. I am going to Ivy Tech studying Criminal Justice, and have been a security officier for Securitas for just over a year. What a few people told me was that departments donít want someone with that background because he/she can be an arrogant or cocky person. Is this true? Should I look for a different job and degree to follow?

Secondly, I was also told that you can apply to the sheriffs dept. if you are going to be 21 after the academy. Is this true? Iím not sure when the next time you hire is, but can I be 20 if Iíll be 21 years old when im through with the academy?
If not, I turn 21 October 2011. How soon after I turn 21 will I be able to apply and how soon will the ACSD be looking for new officers. Is there a certain time frame that you hire, or just when you need officers.

Thank you for your time

Post Re: Future Hiring Questions 
Josesavila3 wrote:
I will try to get all of my questions out.

I have been told by a few people that having a strong background in law enforcement actually hurts my chances at getting hired. I am going to Ivy Tech studying Criminal Justice, and have been a security officier for Securitas for just over a year. What a few people told me was that departments donít want someone with that background because he/she can be an arrogant or cocky person. Is this true? Should I look for a different job and degree to follow?

Secondly, I was also told that you can apply to the sheriffs dept. if you are going to be 21 after the academy. Is this true? Iím not sure when the next time you hire is, but can I be 20 if Iíll be 21 years old when im through with the academy?
If not, I turn 21 October 2011. How soon after I turn 21 will I be able to apply and how soon will the ACSD be looking for new officers. Is there a certain time frame that you hire, or just when you need officers.

Thank you for your time

I have read your post and do not see listed any Law Enforcement Academy or prior employment as a Police Officer mentioned regarding the strong Law Enforcement background? Prior Law Enforcement training or employment does not hurt your chances of being hired.

Security companies and Police Departments are like comparing apples to oranges, each has different requirements and standards under the Law and enforcement areas, and, are generally not interchangable for experience.

Increasing your education through college never hurts.

We just closed the application process November 30, 2010. From these applicants a list will be made of persons to hire. The list is good for two years or until all are hired. You must be 21 to apply.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum