allencountysheriff.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Breaking into car, what to do?
Post Breaking into car, what to do? 
What should I do if I catch someone breaking into my car at night?

1. Call 911 seems to be most logical, but even if it only takes an officer a few minutes to arrive, the thief will most likely get away with more valuables.

2. Scare them off. This avoids any confrontation and minimizes losses, but offers no chance of getting stolen items back and gives the thief a feeling of success.

3. Approach them? I don't feel comfortable doing this. Many times it is probably kids fooling around, but I don't want to get stabbed or shot if they have a weapon.

What is the best approach?

Post Re: Breaking into car, what to do? 
[quote:40e783d89d=\"mark2000\"]What should I do if I catch someone breaking into my car at night?

1. Call 911 seems to be most logical, but even if it only takes an officer a few minutes to arrive, the thief will most likely get away with more valuables.

2. Scare them off. This avoids any confrontation and minimizes losses, but offers no chance of getting stolen items back and gives the thief a feeling of success.

3. Approach them? I don't feel comfortable doing this. Many times it is probably kids fooling around, but I don't want to get stabbed or shot if they have a weapon.

What is the best approach?

Call 911
Your safety is important, being a great witness and having a description and direction they went is the best choice.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum